Friday, October 14, 2011

[1st episode]Guilty Crown

It's interesting how you always can tell whenever there's a a big convention somewhere in the US. Subs are always a bit late.
I don't complain though, was busy today anyway and usually Saturdays always come bearing one single show (and it's Sekaiichi ^^), I'll have a bit more things to watch tomorrow!

Anyway, I was trying to talk about Guilty Crown. Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured what this is all about.
Apparently some kind of guerilla group fight the established power in a post apocalyptic Japan that's suffering a very dangerous disease.

I'll admit it, I braced myself for the worst, in the summary it just sounded like so many things put together I never thought it would hold. In the end it's not as bad as I thought it would be, it barely holds but it does.
And I don't even know why I started my review by my general impression. Well, since I'm at it, it's not bad, not the best anime of the century but not that bad.
Ah and it was pretty too.

Now that I've stated the good, let me tell you what was bad about it.
Mainly, the multiple "influences" from everywhere. It wouldn't be a problem if they weren't so numerous.
The post apocalyptic setting has been done and redone (Evangelion for starters), the guerilla vs. established power is the same (the Gundam serie), the powerless main character who's in fact special is the basic setting of every shonen, Japan being "occupied" by a foreign country (Hello Code Geass), the protagonist being the singer of a popular band reminded me of Chaos;Head and the virus who's supposed to be named Lost Christmas according to the summaries I've read is totally from Bloody Monday.
It's so many elements thrown together that I fear it will crumble when they'll keep on adding more.

Sadly, I'm starting to have a hard time with Kaji Yuuki, his voice is a bit flat to voice a main character, not enough variations. (Main character who didn't interest me much either)

Oh well, should be entertaining enough and if worse comes to worse, I'll just shut my brain off.