Friday, October 7, 2011

[1st episode] Persona 4

Finally another show that got me as excited as Fate/Zero (aside from the second seasons) While Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai wasn't bad, it's not exciting, just entertaining.
Anyway, I've seen Persona 4 and I loved it.

Unfortunately I never played the game so the summary may be a bit off. Basically, a high school student has to transfer to a new city, he makes friends at school and at some point and for some reason they're attack by a strange entity and they're saved by said transfer student because he has the power to summon a Persona. Fear the power of glass!


To be honest I have lowered my expectations for everything to the lowest level possible, not to mention that I feared for something that was so hyped up I couldn't even access the website on the day of the annoucement.
I've been very pleasantly surprised.

Not having played the game I can't compare, all I can compare it to is to Persona - Trinity Soul, the first attempt at animating the franchise. Well, if you, like me, liked Trinity Soul you'll like Persona 4. The premises of the serie are the same, I wonder why they always feel to make one of the hero's family member a policeman.
Well, whatever.

I really liked the opening scene, it really did feel like you were playing a regular RPG, quite a nice idea, I heard they used the music from the original game too and the seiyuu kept their roles. (That means we're getting Daisuke Namikawa as the main character, I wondered for most of the serie why they chose him to voice such an apathetic character, but I understood at the end, it fits him perfectly)

Talking about the characters, well I have nothing to say, your regular high schoolers, quite surprised by Yu in the end though, thankfully.
For now it's easy to understand even if you're not familiar with the franchise, though it's obviously a bit better, if only to know what the Persona are exactly, not that it really matters.

To sum up my impressions : it was creepy. I loved it.