Whether or not we've been into animes/manga/Japanese things in general long or not, we've all experienced various kind of traumas, shocks and came to know many things we did not wish to know, or things we will never ever forget.
Because I find the topic both fun and interesting have my attempt at coming up with a personnal list.
Porn : Ok I start with this and you'll think I'm perverted but the whole concept of animated porn is something no one can forget once you've seen it. (Well animated porn is not the only "oddity" on the Japanese market but let's let this slide I don't particulary fancy embarassing myself further ^^)
Anyway, this was supposed to be a category so let's continue :
- Yaoi : I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain why this came at a shock when my 15-years-old self stumbled upon yaoi.
- Tentacles : One day I'll understand the appeal of tentacles. Maybe.
- Eroge/otome games/homoge and other dating sims : Thinking back about it, I should have imagined the concept. But I still can't believe these exist and probably never will.
- Hentai/yaoi animes with favourite seiyuus : Since I'm too curious for my own good and some people keep on sending questionnable things to me I once checked a hentai with Ono Daisuke. But there's worse, a yaoi anime, a VERY graphic yaoi anime, with Hochuu Ohtsuka. I don't want to even think about it ever again.
Seiyuu : The existence itself of such a large fandom for them came as a shock to me. Not a trauma though, I was and still am very glad to know there are people who pay as much attention as me to voices.
- Character songs : This one is both heaven and hell. Heaven when they're good, hell when they just can't sing. Still, the concept of making "characters" sing still is strange to me.
- Drama CDs and seiyuu events : Same as above, I love the concept but it's still strange. As for drama CDs I carefully avoid the ones with questionnable content (cf the above category)
On the other hand it's a very good way to learn Japanese.
Miscellaneous : That word itself is a trauma.
- Ballpoint pens : Who in their right mind would stab people with them? Yet, I still have some with me. Just in case.
- The character curse : Also known as I-am-bound-to-love-characters-no-one-cares-about. Examples are : Kyubey, Shiki-san in Durarara!! (do you even know who he is?), Akechi Mitsuhide, ...
- Durarara!! : That and any of Narita Ryogho's works is a trauma in itself.
- Spoilers : I hate spoilers. With a burning passion. Will never ever get over the fact I've been spoilt for Gundam 00.
- Cliffhangers : Same as above. Made me finish Code Geass in 3 days.
- Kyubey : It went as far as to invade my notes for class. He is EVERYWHERE! (but so cute, I want a plushie of Kyubey ^^)
- Pineapples : cf Katekyo Hitman Reborn. (his hairs do like a pineapple)
- Shi Ki : Generally all of Fuyumi Ono's works are traumas inducing. Ghost Hunt was a masterpiece of horror stories, Shi Ki took gore to a whole new level.
- Symmetry : Please don't tell me I'm the only one who can only think about Soul Eater when I hear that word. It is, by the way, very troublesome when your own mother is a bit of a symmetry addict and rants about that from time to time.
Well, I guess that's where I'll conclude my list. I let it sit down for a few days and nothing more came up to my mind, you're free to suggest more, I'm dead curious about your own traumatic experiences.