Sunday, April 1, 2012

[1st episode] Folktales from Japan

And here you have something else I didn't want to watch, actually didn't know it existed, but when I saw it was about folktales I just couldn't help myself. I really love folktales.

So, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of material to sum it up, it's a bunch of different folktales. Makes you go back in time, doesn't it?


I don't really know what to say about this. I liked it. I liked it a lot. I thought it was adorable. It's strange how replacing a fairy by a dog and sisters by old people can change a story. It's interesting how our (well, I by "our" I mean French and some other European) stories often stars princes and princesses while Japanese focus on old and modest people.

All in all, I think that Folktales from Japan is a great anime for those who're culturally curious. Fairy tales can say a lot about a culture, and you don't have to watch the whole thing once you've started as a single episode has a few stories in it.

I liked it a lot and I'd love it if other people would watch it so we can talk. Since I'm pretty sure this will serve as basis to a few future editorials